Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert. It means Cream Cooked or Cooked CREAM. Following recepi is to cook for 4 to 6 pax.
- 2 cups heavy cream (500ml, or 1 pint)
- 2 ½ tblsp sugar (45gr, or 1 ½ oz.)
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 leaf of gelatine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (not vanilla essence)
- 1 tbsp dark rum (optional)
- 2 x cups mixed berries
- Soak gelatine in a little cold water until soft.
- Grab a heavy based pot and add cream and sugar.
- Split and scrape out vanilla pod.
- Add whole pod and vanilla extract.
- Gently bring to the boil, then take off the heat.
- Mix in gelatine until dissolved.
- Mix in rum, then strain through a fine sieve.
- Add to moulds and refrigerate (preferably overnight) until set.
- To make the sauce
- Add berries to small pot with 1 ½ tbsp sugar.
- Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- To turn out Panna Cottas
- Dip moulds in warm water for 5 seconds.
- Gently turn out.
- They may require a firm ‘jolt’ to release them from their moulds!
- Serve with berry sauce.